Skip to content
Little Gem, Pickled-Shallot, Parmigiano and Prosciutto Salad
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 heads Little Gem lettuce
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced in rounds
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces sliced prosciutto
- 1⁄2 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Place lettuce in ice water to soak. In a small bowl, combine shallots, lemon juice, vinegar, 4 tablespoons oil, mustard, honey, salt and pepper to taste.
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil. In batches, gently fry prosciutto sheets 2 minutes, then flip and cook until crisp, 1 minute. Transfer to a paper-towel- lined plate and add oil to pan as needed. Pour any fat remaining into shallots.
- Drain lettuce. Trim at root, separate leaves, wash and dry. In a large bowl, toss lettuce leaves with pickled shallot dressing. Break up prosciutto and scatter overtop along with Parmigiano. Finish with black pepper.
Original WSJ Article