- 1½ pounds medium carrots (preferably with their tops)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces pancetta, finely diced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- ½ cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- ½ cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- Finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If carrots have tops, remove about an inch from root, and set aside. Scrub carrots and halve lengthwise.
- Place carrots on a parchment-lined baking sheet or roasting pan, toss in oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven, turning occasionally, until soft and browned, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter, and sauté pancetta and shallots, 5-7 minutes. Add hazelnuts and garlic and continue to sauté until buttery and golden, a few minutes more.
- Remove carrots from oven, let cool slightly, then add red-wine vinegar, pancetta-hazelnut mixture, parsley, a handful of leafy carrot tops, if you have them, and toss to combine.
- Serve in roasting pan or on a platter. Top generously with Parmigiano, some more carrot tops or parsley and cranks of black pepper.