- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus more leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill, plus more fronds for garnish
- ⅓ cup cultured whole buttermilk
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice, plus zest of 1 lime
- 8 very fresh sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- Flaky sea salt
- Pop a rimmed serving plate or platter in the freezer to chill.
- In a mortar or small bowl, muddle together oil, cilantro and dill.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine buttermilk and lime juice.
- Pat dry the scallops with a paper towel, then use a sharp knife to slice each one, crosswise, into three rounds.
- Place scallops in buttermilk-lime mixture and stir to coat. Let them sit for a couple of minutes, then arrange in a single layer on the chilled platter. Pour enough liquid over the scallops to coat bottom of platter.
- Dollop herb infused-oil on top. Scatter onions, lime zest, sea salt and delicate leaves of cilantro and dill on top. Serve immediately.