3 cups (390g)all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (240ml) heavy cream, cold
1 cup (240ml) Sprite, Soda Water or Bubbly Lemonade
Extra flour, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Line a large sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together three times.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the sifted flour. Make a well, pour the cream in and mix with a butter knife, cutting through the dough, until it starts to come together. It will be lumpy, and that’s okay.
- Add the lemonade and continue mixing with the knife until you end up with a soft, sticky dough. It won’t be perfectly smooth, a light touch is key.
- Place the dough onto a dry, well floured surface, lightly sprinkle more flour on top of the dough, and roll it onto itself, gently kneading and bring the dough together. Sprinkle more flour if it's sticking. Gently shape the dough into a square that’s about an 1-inch thick. Cut the dough into 1½- 2-inch squares.
- Place each square onto the sheet tray closely together.
- Lightly brush the tops with milk or cream and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lovely and golden on top.
- Serve with whipped cream, and compote, jam, honey or golden syrup.