Bake One 12 by 8-inch Chocolatey Chocolate Cake: recipe on this website.
Make Silky Marshmallow Icing: recipe on this website.
Graham Cracker Topping
- 4 (60g) graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare pan. Make the batter for the Chocolatey Chocolate Cake according to directions. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, and the cake bounces back when lightly pressed. Cool the cake on wire rack.
- Crush the graham crackers finely in a blender or in a ziplock bag, using a rolling pin or something heavy. In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and toast the crackers until fragrant. Cool completely.
- Make the Silky Marshmallow Icing just before assembling.
- To assemble the s’mores: use a 2- inch round cookie cutter to punch holes out of the cake. You should get approximately 12 small round cakes if you cut them closely together. Using a sharp knife, cut the round cakes in half horizontally, keeping the knife parallel to the work surface. Place a spoonful of Silky Marshmallow Icing on one half, then place the other half on top, sandwiching the pieces together. Spoon another small dollop of the icing on top of each s’more and use the back of a spoon to get a nice lift in the icing by ficking your wrist. After all the cakes are done, sprinkle a smattering of toasted graham cracker crumbs on top. If you’re lucky enough to own a cooking torch, toast the icing or put the s’mores under the broiler, being very, very careful not to burn them! (Put them in the fridge before toasting to help the icing set a little before applying heat.) Either way, they’re delicious.