2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 1⁄3 cups (265g) granulated sugar
3⁄4 cup (180ml) mild-flavored extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄2 cup (120ml) whole milk
1⁄2 cup (120ml) buttermilk (shake carton before measuring)
1⁄4 cup (60ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two 8 by 2-inch round pans with olive oil or butter, line the bottom and sides of the pans with parchment paper, and grease the paper. (If using individual Bundt pans or cupcake pans, grease them generously with butter, using your fingers to get into all the grooves, and then lightly dust with flour, shaking off any excess.)
- Place a large sifter or sieve in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and sift.
- Using an electric mixer with beaters or a paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium speed until pale and aerated, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Add the oil, milk, buttermilk, juice, and zest. Continue beating on low speed until combined and frothy like a milkshake, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk or beat until just combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the center of the oven on the same rack for 30 to 33 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, and the cake bounces back when lightly pressed.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let them stand for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the cakes to gently release. Peel off the parchment paper from the sides. Invert the cakes, peel off the bottom piece of parchment paper, and cool on a wire rack.